The Career Prep application for college students planning to graduate in Fall 2019, Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 is now closed.Apply Now
- US citizen or US permanent resident (including DACA participant)
- Applicants must be Black/ African American, Hispanic/ Latino(a), or Native American (if you represent more than one ethnicity, one of them must be Black/ African American, Hispanic/ Latino(a), or Native American)
- Applicants must be college sophomores (Graduation in Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Summer 2020)
- 2.8 minimum GPA
- A career interest in business or technology across any wide range of industries
- Ability to do monthly assignments and attend all in-person seminars
Find out the answers to Frequently Asked Questions
The Career Prep application requirements are listed below. All application materials will be collected through the online application. Please do not send materials (including transcripts) via mail or email. Offline application materials will not be accepted.
- Demographic information
- SAT and/ or ACT score(s)
- Extracurricular activities (including a description of impact)
- Honors and/ or awards
- Career and industry interest(s)
We want you to have sufficient time to develop your essay responses. We have reduced the word limits for these questions because we are looking for concise, yet clear and complete responses. We recommend that you take the essay drafting and editing process seriously. There are two mandatory essay questions and two conditional essay questions.
Briefly describe your career aspirations (site industry of greatest interest, type of work you hope to pursue, and MLT partners you’re most interested in). Why do you think acceptance into the Career Prep will help you realize your career goals and what do you expect to gain? (200 Word Limit)
When have you analyzed a large amount of data? How did you use that data to make a decision or recommendation? Did you use that data to persuade others to agree with your recommendation or decision? What was the result? (200 word limit)
Video Response Question
What unique qualities or capabilities will you bring to Career Prep and how will they benefit the CP Class?
The goal of the Video Response Question is to hear your answer to the question and see your presentation skills. You will have only 1-2 minutes so take some time to gather your thoughts and practice your answer before you start to record your video.
- No formal editing is expected or required. A simple video taken on your computer, cell phone or tablet is fine. If you use a cell phone or tablet please record your video in landscape.
- Video should be between 1 and 2 minutes. (2 minutes maximum).
- You should physically appear on the video when answering the question. No group images, please.
MLT asks that you provide 1-2 recommendations. One recommendation is required; a second recommendation is optional. Once you submit a recommendation request, your recommender will receive an email with a link to the online form. The form should not take more than 5-10 minutes to complete.
We suggest that you think about who can provide the best recommendation. Possible recommenders include current supervisors, former supervisors, college professors, student club advisors, and community leaders.
It is helpful to provide your recommender with background information about MLT, Career Prep, and why you want to participate in this program. Instead of a formal letter of recommendation we ask that recommenders answer a few short answer questions and complete a ranking grid. Please remember, it is important to give your recommender sufficient time to complete your recommendation.
You are required to submit a current resume (no longer than 1 page) that includes your professional and extracurricular activates.
An unofficial transcript with all of your classes and grades is required. Please begin the process to obtain your unofficial transcript as soon as you decide to apply.
About a week after the applicable round deadline, you will receive an invitation to an online, digital interview. Please keep an eye out for the interview invitation in your email inbox. You will have one week to complete the interview.
The Selection Process
Due to limited resources and the demanding requirements of our program, admittance to the Career Prep program is selective.
The selection committee is looking for individuals who demonstrate excellence in the following three areas:
- Academic Achievement: To be considered, students must have solid academic standing. Those with a 3.0 GPA or greater are strongly encouraged to apply. If admitted, applicants must submit an official transcript.
- Leadership: Applicants should demonstrate leadership experience and potential.
- Career Exploration and Progression: Applicants should demonstrate commitment to their personal and professional path through participation in organizations, internships, and other activities.
Most candidates will receive virtual interview requests. Upon receiving any request or inquiry from the Career Prep team, please respond as quickly as possible so as not to delay your admissions decision.