The Career Prep application is open!Apply Now
- College sophomore (graduating in Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Summer 2022)
- U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident (includes DACA participants)
- African American, Latinx, or Native American (if you represent more than one race, one of them must be African American, Latinx, or Native American)
- Minimum GPA of 2.8
- Career interest in business or technology (but we accept all majors)
- Ability to complete monthly assignments and attend all in-person seminars
All application materials must be submitted through our online portal. Please do not send materials (including transcripts) via mail or email.
- SAT and/ or ACT score(s)
- Extracurricular activities (including a description of impact)
- Honors and awards
- Career and industry interests
Applicants will complete written and video essays. We are looking for concise, yet clear and complete responses. It is recommended that you take the essay drafting and editing process seriously. There are two mandatory essays and one optional question.
MLT requires one or two written recommendations. After you submit a recommendation request through the application portal, the recipient will receive an email with a link to the online recommendation form. The form takes approximately 5 – 10 minutes to complete. Please carefully consider who can provide you with the best recommendation. Your options include, but are not limited to, past or current supervisors, college professors, student club advisors, and community leaders. Do not ask for a recommendation from a current student. It is advisable to provide your recommender with information about MLT, Career Prep, and why you want to participate in the program. Please give your recommender sufficient time to complete your request. Remember, instead of a formal letter of recommendation, you are asking recommenders to answer several short questions and complete a ranking grid.
You are required to submit a current resume (preferably one page) that includes your professional and extracurricular activities.
An official or unofficial transcript with all of your classes and grades is required. Please begin the process to obtain your unofficial transcript as soon as you decide to apply. If admitted, applicants must submit an official transcript.
In addition to the Career Prep application, you can also apply for a functional or industry-specific program track. These tracks will give you additional access to industry leaders and exposure to the bar of excellence at these corporations. We currently have special program tracks for Accounting, Computer Science/Software Engineering, and Housing/Real Estate.
The Selection Process
Admittance to the Career Prep program is selective. Outstanding candidates demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
- Academic Achievement: Candidates must be in good academic standing. Students with a 3.0 GPA or higher are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Leadership: Applicants should possess leadership experience and high levels of community engagement.
- Personal and Professional Development: Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to their personal and professional growth through participation in professional organizations, internships, and other activities.